5 April 2012

Motorways

Today I freaked out on the motorway.  Not something I enjoy doing, as I'm normally well prepared for my expeditions with maps, and memorised routes.  I had planned to take the A2 to Chatham - a road I knew well, as I'd taken this route to collect my rental car.  But, quel horreur, halfway there were signs saying 'road closed from Station Road due to gas repair work'.  I continued on in optimism (well, the signs were accompanied by pictures of heavy vehicles, so I thought my little i20 might sneak through).  Alas, not!  The man at the road closure sign helpfully told me what the signs already said, and suggested I take the M2 to Chatham which would be "a lot easier."  Ha ha.  Once I'd found the M2 (in a state of stress, as I had not memorised this route in my mind), I found myself amongst container trucks and speeding God knows what (didn't have time to see the car model - if it was a car, could've been a motorcyclist!)  Anyway, nightmare of nightmares, along comes a big roundabout (a roundabout on the M2, I thought?).  Turns out I wasn't on the M2, I was approaching the M2 from some other road, and I now had to make a decision.  On the big blue sign it read London (M2) on one side, and Channel Tunnel (M2) on the other.  I had fleeting visions of both negotiating Piccadilly Circus and sitting on a train in my i20 in under the channel.  Trying to work out which was worse, I eventually caved in, went right round the roundabout, avoided the M2, went back on the funny road home again.

No comments:

Post a Comment